[Lazarus] Linux

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 20 21:36:01 CET 2009

cc_ at freemail.hu schrieb:

> I have never used Linux before, but it is becoming an important
> development target platform for us now. After installing Ubuntu 8.1 with
> gnome desktop I was quite surprised that the user interface felt quite
> slugish. The same machine with XP works as expected. It is hard to
> believe for me that Linux would be any slower than XP.

Most machines ship with special Windows drivers, starting from the
chipset and reaching to the graphics card. Actually I cannot make work
properly an XP from a distribution for a different machine, lacking the
appropriate drivers for the new machine. The new machine only comes with
Vista drivers, support even for other Windows versions is poor to non
existent. The same for Linux distros, which may not include the machine
specific drivers.

I found XP very hardware dependent, since I've had to replace the
graphics card on an older machine - XP now fails to start even in safe
or VGA mode. A W2K installation on the same machine had no problems to
switch to the new hardware.

> - Is there a way to speed up Ubuntu? (drivers, other GUI ...) (:Yes, I
> know it is not a Lazarus specific question:)

You should make sure that all required drivers are available for your
favorite system, *before* buying a new machine. Lazarus cannot make the
OS work faster ;-)

Or you install the host system, as shipped with the machine, and run
other systems in virtual machines. Then you can find out how other
systems behave on your machine, without hardware dependencies. You also
have a chance to e.g. test your applications on different target
systems. I create a new VM for every major software project, so that I
can save and restore the project together with the entire environment.
No more problems with multiple FPC/Lazarus or Delphi versions, when each
development system is installed in a dedicated VM :-)

DoDi