[Lazarus] Font sizes on various platforms

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Wed Jul 8 14:14:12 CEST 2009

Zaher Dirkey wrote:
> 8pt in 96dpi
> 8*96/72=10.6666 pixels
> in Windows it convert to 11 pixel, i do not about Linux but if it
> trunk the integer and get only 10, the font appear smaller.

Using Bitstream Versa Sans Mono font and setting it to 8pt I typed the
following text:  lygAÀ

Using Gimp I took a screenshot and measure the top of 'À' to the bottom
of 'g' and it was 12 pixels high. The letter 'B' is 8 pixels high. I'm
running my X11 and a forced 96 dpi. Using Ubuntu 8.04.2 with Gnome desktop.

So again, using your formula, I have no clue why fonts vary in size
depending on different platforms yet using the same dpi setting. It
seems everybody has there own formula for converting points to pixels.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/