[Lazarus] startlazarus and memory consumption

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Jul 14 11:55:41 CEST 2009

Henry Vermaak wrote:

> My startlazarus uses 10M physical memory, while lazarus uses 27M (RES
> column in `top`).

What widgetset did you compile with? I used GTK2. I guess I can
experiment with other widgetsets for the startlazarus project, or is
startlazarus a pure console application? (I never checked)

See attached screenshot of my 'top' output:

   startlazarus = 14MB physical (26.5MB virtual)
   lazarus      = 36MB phisical (49.5MB virtual)

I don't care to much about the 'lazarus' memory usage, I think 36MB is
quite a little for an IDE. After working with it for a while switching
between various project etc. the usage normally climbs to 95MB, which I
still think is good for an IDE.

But 'startlazarus' is a lot - considering what it does.

> It's still a lot, though.

Thank you, at least now I'm not the only one that thinks so. ;-)

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/