[Lazarus] startlazarus and memory consumption

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Jul 14 13:43:07 CEST 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:55:41 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net> wrote:

> Henry Vermaak wrote:
> >
> > My startlazarus uses 10M physical memory, while lazarus uses 27M
> > (RES column in `top`).
>
> What widgetset did you compile with? I used GTK2. I guess I can
> experiment with other widgetsets for the startlazarus project, or is
> startlazarus a pure console application? (I never checked)
>
> See attached screenshot of my 'top' output:
>
>    startlazarus = 14MB physical (26.5MB virtual)

executable without smart linking and without wpo
+ stack
+ loaded config files
+ mem fragmentation

A simple lcl app needs 2-4MB less.

>    lazarus      = 36MB phisical (49.5MB virtual)
>
> I don't care to much about the 'lazarus' memory usage, I think 36MB
> is quite a little for an IDE. After working with it for a while
> switching between various project etc. the usage normally climbs to
> 95MB, which I still think is good for an IDE.

FYI: the 95MB is about 50% mem fragmentation.

> But 'startlazarus' is a lot - considering what it does.
>
> > It's still a lot, though.
>
> Thank you, at least now I'm not the only one that thinks so. ;-)

Yes, it is not optimized for size. Probably one or two MB can be
saved. The rest must be done by optimizing the LCL.

Mattias