[Lazarus] startlazarus and memory consumption

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Jul 16 15:07:33 CEST 2009

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Brad Campbell schrieb:
>
>> Also, on OSX, the act of displaying the screen and polling the
>> application event loop stops the app icon bouncing in the dock, so it
>> looks like its loading faster there also. (An unexpected side effect)
>
> An existing and visible (foreground) window may increase the process
> priority or other scheduling factors, on every system. Like HTTP
> typically has higher priority than FTP. Only a wild guess, dunno about
> concrete details.

No, on OSX the dock icon sits and bounces until the application polls the carbon event loop the
first time. The application.processmessages that is required to get the splash screen to draw
properly does this and therefore stops the dock icon bouncing a lot earlier than if it waited for
the main form to finish loading.

The load time from click to usable is identical in each case. One shows a splash screen and the
other just sits there with a bouncing dock icon until the main form comes up. I know which one I prefer.

I'm not really familiar with OSX development, so it was just a nice bonus for me :)

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them