[Lazarus] The default Lazarus profile directory location

Martin Friebe lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Jun 3 13:27:27 CEST 2009

Vincent Snijders wrote:
> Michael Van Canneyt schreef:
>> On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We just spoke about the freedesktop.org directory standards in another
>>> message thread and this made me think.  Why isn't Lazarus using the
>>> GetAppConfigDir(False) as it's default location for all the IDE config
>>> files. It's hard-coded to $HOME/.lazarus/ directory for Linux (and
>>> probably other unix type OS's as well)?
> If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
>

>> I think that
>>
>> a) .lazarus was a logical choice for unix.
>>
>> b) It is now historically so. Changing this now would mean that the
>>    current configuration breaks.

Not necessarily. (breaking historical location). Lazarus could check the
old location, for loading, import old config, and write to the new
location (removing the old)
Once one or 2 releases have done this, and it can be assumed that the
majority of people got updated, the check for the old location can go.

On the other hand it's a lot of work, for (imho) little gain. Anyway if
the idea as such would found to be acceptable, and someone would judge
the gain worth the effort, then this someone surely could provide a patch?

So question is, is the idea as such acceptable?

Martin