[Lazarus] Cross-platform virtual key codes

Bruce Tulloch bruce at causal.com
Mon Jun 22 06:57:36 CEST 2009

Martin Friebe wrote:

> True, but not the point, sorry.

I know and understood that. I just wanted to make it clear that by pulling in "gui" units into a CGI (non-gui) application is not a good idea.

> So the question I was raising was: Is forcefully avoiding any multi-app
> scenario the right solution?

Well me being someone that loves OO design and all things to do with design patterns have the following thought - my opinion only. ;-)  The Application variable, as introduced in the Forms unit encapsulates an application. Seeing that you also only create one application per executable, there should in theory only be one Application variable/instance/singleton. To me, this should apply to GUI or non-gui (console or cgi/web based) applications.

> The problem was started due to being forced to use a unit, that the
> developer didn't want. IMHO this must be solved,

Correct, and exactly the same problem I had to resolve in the tiOPF framework. Many non-gui functionality units pulled in GUI units. The biggest culprit was the Forms unit as well. And seeing that all my applications are non LCL or VCL based, I did not have a Forms unit in fpGUI Toolkit, so quickly discovered the problem. Reworking the tiOPF frame was required and a few abstractions implemented to separate the gui and non-gui code.

Regards,
 - Graeme -