[Lazarus] Git mirror

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Mon Jun 29 13:37:28 CEST 2009

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:

> Git worked like a charm at the first attempt.

Excellent. :-)

> When "git clone --depth 10 git://github.com/graemeg/lazarus.git"
> finished, I did "git checkout -b work origin/upstream" inside lazarus
> folder.
>
> Now, I'm trying to build over QT, but this is other crazy history.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. OK, I did exactly the same as you
now... to make sure my wiki instructions were correct.

$ cd /tmp
$ git clone --depth 10 git://github.com/graemeg/lazarus.git

This cloned the Lazarus repository with 10 history items per branch or
tag, and created a '/tmp/lazarus' directory

$ cd lazarus

By default, if you clone a repository, you end up inside the 'master'
branch. As per the wiki, we actually want the 'upstream' branch. So,
lets check that out and name our new branch 'work'.

$ git checkout -b work origin/upstream

All done! We now have the latest Lazarus (trunk) code. You can confirm
this by running 'gitk --all' to see all the branch. You are at the
yellow dot in the tree - right at the top. And you are equal to
'origin/upstream'.  See attached image.

OK, seeing that I don't know how to compile lazarus from the command
line, I copied my old lazarus binary into our new directory so I can run
the Lazarus IDE and compile our new version from there...

$ cp /opt/lazarus/lazarus .
$ ./lazarus --pcp=/tmp/lazarus_tmp_profile

I didn't want the new lazarus to screw with my "real" ~/.lazarus
profile. As lazarus started up it complained that it couldn't find
various packages. This is normal, so I just keep clicking on Ignore.

Now I go to "Environment > Options" and set the FPC Source path and
click OK. Then I go to "Tools > Configure Build Lazarus" and select the
"Advanced Build Options" tab.

 * I set all the items (radio buttons) to the Build action (middle radio
buttons) except for the Examples I set to None.

 * Under "LCL Interface" I selected the Qt widgetset. I made sure

 * I make sure "With Packages" is unchecked, because I want a nice small
Lazarus IDE to start with and little dependencies.

 * I set the "Lazarus director" to /tmp/lazarus/ just to make sure the
executable ends up inside that directory and not inside the profile
directory.

 * Now I click "build" and wait.....

Build was successful. I quit Lazarus IDE and restart it again, which now
loaded the new Qt based Lazarus IDE. I confirmed this in the About
dialog. See 2nd attached image.

BTW: There seems to be some bug in the Qt widgetset and the Lazarus
About dialog... The command line output scrolls like crazy and the IDE
get unresponsive... Either way, the rest of the IDE works and functions
fine.

I hope this helped.

PS:
To keep your repository up-to-date you can do the following (there are a
few other methods as well, but the following is the easiest). While
still inside the 'work' branch, you simply run the following...

$ git pull

If there was updates available, git would tell you so. If so, you can
rebuild your IDE as normal.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/