[Lazarus] Building Lazarus with QT

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Mon Jun 29 15:49:56 CEST 2009

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:

> $ make clean all

Yes, but doesn't that compile the examples as well?  I only want the
basic IDE compiled.  Anyway, I'll clone my cloned git and try the 'make
clean all' and see what it builds. I gather in my case (using Linux) it
will default to the LCL-GTK2 widgetset. That's good, because I only use
the LCL-GTK2 widgetset for the IDE.

> I tried to follow the wiki instructions, and there, "Set LCL to
> "clean+build" and everything else to "None" ".

Which wiki page was that?  I found this one by doing a quick search..

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus

> With this instructions, The build finished instantly with an error I
> don't remember, and can't reproduce now. Now, this, build succesfully
> the LCL, but I can't get SQLDb and others pacakges.

I normally first try and get a clean/basic IDE compiled, then install
whatever packages I require afterwards. I find this works best for me -
but it's been a long time since I started with a completely new setup. I
just keep upgrading my system and use the previous binary to create the
next binary.

> Selecting all (but not examples) with Build&Clean, seems all goes fine,
> until linking lazarus, where...:

OK, but that has nothing to do with Git then. This is normally a sign of
a FPC setup problem or you are missing development libraries.
They are normally named in the format:
  <package>-devel

Can you compile the IDE with the default LCL-GTK2 widgetset? I'm not
very up-to-speed with the LCL-Qt widgetset. I've got it working, but
never use it.

Also, can you give more information about your system. What OS, distro,
version etc...?

>>  * I make sure "With Packages" is unchecked, because I want a nice small
>> Lazarus IDE to start with and little dependencies.
>
> Then how link for example the packages?

Like I mentioned earlier, I prefer to start with a very basic/clean IDE
and then install only the packages I need. For example, I never use the
RTTI components which I believe comes default installed in Lazarus IDE.
I also never use the design-time SqlDB components, so I don't need them
installed either.

As far as I know Felipe uses/developed the LCL-Qt widgetset, so he will
probably be the best person to explain how you need to install Qt and
get the IDE compiled with it.

Regards,
  - Graeme -