[Lazarus] About 0013268: SynEdit parses every line twice on load or paste (Attn: Flávio)

Martin Friebe lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Mar 5 21:08:43 CET 2009

Martin Waldenburg wrote:
> Martin Friebe schrieb:
>
>> It is still way faster than a person can ever
>> type.
>>
> if one does things more complicated as needed one will also
> likely introduce more bugs.
> A few minutes more thinking often saves hours of work,
> in my experience.
>
> Martin

You seem to have misread me. There is a diff between "doing things more
complicated than needed" and "adding more complex functionality than
previous present".
(I don't want to go down the road and start arguing which functionality
is needed or useful, or ....)

The fact is, that I choose an implementation that was simpler (in design
and implementation), so it had a lower risk of being buggy, and was
quicker to implement. But the reason was not that it was simpler to do,
the reason was that the propper solution will become easier, once some
of the refactoring (next sentence) has been done.

It goes against the good principle of "do it right or not at all". But
SynEdit as it stands for now, has become so far a way from good design,
that it will take a long time to change this (I am in the process of
trying). I simply decided, that this should not stop me from also adding
features.

Martin