[Lazarus] Easiest way to "case" strings

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Mar 26 10:00:00 CET 2009

Alexander Klenin schrieb:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 00:23, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
>> Since we are close to 20 stringtypes + conversions now, I doubt that this is
>> really the problem.
>
> Yes, I agree that the string types in FPC are a mess,
> and judging by recent discussion, they are planned to became worse.

This happens if every string type someone could imagine is implemented ;)

>> Is having 6 levels of information
>> hiding (private,public,strict protected, strict private,protected,published)
>> or are the strict* ones just to stop the whining of people that come from
>> other languages?
>
> No, it is not necessary, but handy sometimes. I agree that these are
> not a big deal,
> and FPC can live without them quite fine, but they do not break anything either.

The problem is: every language needs testing and maintainance. And even
simple language features can have interferences with other code nobody
might see at a first glance.

Anyways, as I said, new language features are ok if they come as a
proper patch with tests and docs.