[Lazarus] Controlling DPI

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 28 19:17:55 CET 2009

David W Noon schrieb:

>> I prefer the latter, but the zoon factor can also do the trick.
>
> The DPI is controlled by the hardware driver for the video card.

That's a matter of definition of "DPI".

Windows allows to change the font size (DPI) at any time, and most other
systems have similar capabilities. Since Delphi has its roots in
Windows, this definition also should apply to FPC/Lazarus.

> It
> applies to the entire screen and cannot be changed for a particular
> window on the screen. The only way to alter it is to restart the video
> driver with different initialization parameters. [For a UNIX-like system
> (e.g. Linux, FreeBSD), this means altering the X11 configuration and
> restarting the X11 daemon.]

Changing the screen resolution, for one or more monitors, requires an
restart of the graphics system (GDI, X11...), of course, because it
affects the desktop and all windows on the monitor(s).

DoDi