[Lazarus] IDE UI consolidation (was: Re: lfm as pascal)

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed May 6 17:44:56 CEST 2009

Zitat von Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>:

> Martin Friebe schrieb:
>
>>> 2) "Find in files", "Messages" and "Code observer" should be
>>> merged together,
>>> with interface most resembling "Find in files"
>>>
>> IMHO, this (point 2) would  be even more a specialization. Also I can't
>> see how those 3 relate at all.
>
> They can use the same "Search Results" window for their output. That
> window will know what to do (show related place in source code) when an
> entry is clicked.

I don't see how.
Find in files shows simple text and identifier occurences. Find in
Files and Find identifier references already use the same window.
Messages shows several types of messages from compiler, make,
codetools and allows to quick fix these. It is planned to allow
filtering and sorting.
Code observer shows places that might be interesting for code tools.
It is planned to add a second treeview to the code explorer as gui for
the codetools.
Code explorer has lots of short items (more height than width), the
other two need more width than height.

I see no problem to page-dock messages and find in files, but
implementation and usage are too different to marry them.

>> Anyway, for that lets wait for docking.
>
> Some notes on docking:
>
> The "Messages" and "Search Results" can be docked to the IDE main
> window, eventually by default.
>
> The docking of forms is unsupported on many platforms, due to the
> different management of controls (widgetset) and windows (window
> manager). So all dockable windows should contain one single component
> for their entire content. (or the forms should float as clients of a
> floating form). This requirement lead me to another suggestion:
>
> When one or more forms are docked into another window, their UI (menus,
> toolbars...) could be added to the dock host form's UI. Just an idea...

AFAIK merging menus is a very old Delphi feature.
There are some starts in the LCL already.

>> what about:
>> - keybard layouts?
>> - Menu layouts?
>
> Some visual design for toolbars (and menus) would be nice, as in the
> Delphi IDE window (configure by drag&drop from the list of available
> options to a toolbar).

Wishlist:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Feature_Ideas

Mattias