[Lazarus] IDE UI consolidation (was: Re: lfm as pascal)

Martin Friebe lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed May 6 18:57:47 CEST 2009

Alexander Klenin wrote:
> 2009/5/7 Bogusław Brandys <brandys at o2.pl>:
>
>> In fact we see here old problem of two rights - both groups are right ,
>> partially.
>>
>> While it would be nice to have as many nice features placed in one "Code
>> explorer" as possible - that WILL double windows, because someone not
>> using docking (due to limited free memory for example) will find faster
>> to use Ctrl+F12 to show not bloated window with unit names then bloated
>> code explorer.
>> So what would show Ctrl+F12 shortcut in such case ?
>>

> Ctrl+F12 is a shortcut for "unit list", not "procedure list" Graeme
> was talking about.
> To me, this confusion is yet another argument that number of windows
> should be reduced ;-)

1)
So when you say "reduce number of windows": Does that imply reduction of
shortcuts too. Or will all the shortcuts be kept, and just switch to the
correct tab (including open the window, if not yet open)?

2)
There also is an argument for not merging the  windows. Someone might
want to have both windows open, and see both lists at the same time.
I don't use many of them, but it isn't totally unrealistic to assume
that someone, might have unit and procedure windows both open? So once a
unit was selected you can seltct procedures with no window switching.
(Especially people who have 2 or more screens)