[Lazarus] Watches/Local variables/Registers [Re: IDE UI consolidation (was: Re: lfm as pascal)]

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Thu May 7 05:50:54 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 08:56, Martin Friebe <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:
> To heat the discussion up:
>  From the wiki:
>>

>>     Watches/Local variables/Registers
>>
>> All three are a lists of name/value pairs used at debug time.
>>
>> They should be merged together in a single list with appropriate
>> filtering capabilities.
>>

> That would make debugging so much harder.
> Let's assume merging those 3 does *not* mean a window with 3 tabs (as
> all 3 must be visible at once), but rather a window with splitters, so
> you can set how much of each you want to see...

Actually, I meant a single list without any splitters, but with a filter
to show/hide some values based both on "kind" (watch/local/register)
and a substring.
Besides reducing the windows count, this will also allow
those developers who actually need them all to see all interesting
values at a glance.

> Still I often use watches to show local variables which have a very long
> value. In this case I can have a narrow Local window (left to the code),
> and a very wide (but only a few lines high / below the code) watches
> window.
>
> Of course, If I am the only one who uses this in such a way, then it's
> not a reason.

Interesting, but I guess this is indeed rather rare case.
What kind of long values do you watch?

> 2)
> 99% of the time I don't need the register window => with them all
> showing in the same window, I will be very busy hiding it (move the
> splitter to 0 size)
>
> And I really can't imagine, that everyone else is using the registers at
> all times.

Sure, the window should remember its configuration, and I agree that
by default, Registers should be hidden.

--
Alexander S. Klenin