[Lazarus] Ubuntu 9.04 (Lazarus too slow)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu May 7 10:49:36 CEST 2009

Eduardo Lopez wrote:
> Hi Leonardo:
>
> I run Lazarus 0.9.27 in Ubuntu 9.04 without problem (GTK2). But i run
> Windows XP in VirtualBox and some applications are very slow and take
> the CPU to 100%.
>
> I tried VMPlayer and it works very well.  I think that there are some
> bugs in VirtualBox that remains from old versions.
>
> Try to do the same with VMPlayer (it's free). You can create a VM with
> http://www.easyvmx.com/ and then install the O.S.

I'm not fully up-to-date with versions etc. but what I've seen is that
under some circumstances Lazarus- particularly with gtk2- is
unreasonably slow running over a remote (i.e. networked) X session.
Speed to a local X session and remotely using VNC is acceptable.

I've recently also noticed that recent versions of Mozilla are also slow
over remote X but acceptable locally or using VNC. By "slow" I mean
"glacial".

I've not attempted to raise this as a Mozilla bug or with the distro
(Debian). Frankly they're both so self-absorbed in their own problems
I'd not know where to start.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk