[Lazarus] Ubuntu 9.04 (Lazarus too slow)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu May 7 14:08:45 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm not fully up-to-date with versions etc. but what I've seen is that
>> under some circumstances Lazarus- particularly with gtk2- is
>> unreasonably slow running over a remote (i.e. networked) X session.
>> Speed to a local X session and remotely using VNC is acceptable.
>
> Lazarus via a remove X session in TOTALLY unusable!! It is clearly a
> bug somewhere in the LCL-GTK2 widgetset, because other GTK2
> applications like Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, Nero for Linux, gEdit,
> Nautilus etc all run fine with acceptable speeds.

No, Firefox (or specifically Debian's rebranded version which they call
IceWeasel) does NOT run with acceptable speed over a remote X session,
although this might in part depend on the hardware platform.

I'm afraid I can't test this in detail at present due to Debian
self-destructing after an update to one of my development systems, but
so far it appears that I get exactly the same combination of problems as
we've previously discussed with Lazarus.

I was going to comment on this publicly after I'd tried to characterise
the Mozilla problem a bit more, but at present I'd suggest that it's
either a bug inside GTK2 itself or is associated with a particular way
of using one or more GTK2 facilities.

This appears to be worse on SPARC than on x86, it would be interesting
to know whether it is predictably worse on big-endian than little-endian
systems.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk