[Lazarus] DisableWindowsUnicodeSupport

Vincent Snijders vincent.snijders at gmail.com
Fri May 8 11:45:49 CEST 2009

Bernd Mueller schreef:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use Lazarus without Unicode support on Windows, as it
> was possible up to version 0.9.24. I took a recent 0.9.27 snapshot and
> compiled it with -dDisableWindowsUnicodeSupport. My "old" projects seem
> work well, but the editor does not show the german umlauts correct. I
> changed File Settings.../Encodings but this did not help.
>
> For sure, I belong to a minority which has no need for Unicode. For me,
> it would be great to have Unicode disabled in Lazarus. So what is the
> intention behind "DisableWindowsUnicodeSupport" in theses days? If it
> should work, I would make a bug report.

My response can be seen as an addition to Paul's.

As far as I am concerned, the dDisableWindowsUnicodeSupport does not
need to be removed. OTOH working with -dDisableWindowsUnicodeSupport has
no priority for me. If the Lazarus community does the testing and
supplies patches, I don't mind committing them (much like I said about
the fixes_0_9_26 branch, no effort form me, but willing to support the
efforts of others).

I am willing to accept bug reports, if it turns out that a regression
was caused by on of my commits, i.e. it worked before with
DisableWindowsUnicodeSupport, and after it didn't.

Having said that, I fear that some incompatibilities remain, because the
LCL (not the win32 interface) insert conversion to UTF8 when using RTL
functions in for example the TFileListBox.

Finding a solution for such issue is not a priority for me, but patches
will be reviewed and accepted if ok.

Vincent