[Lazarus] List off line because of move to new server

Vincent Snijders vincent.snijders at gmail.com
Thu May 14 09:06:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:31:04 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/5/13 Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:
> >
> > About the default file:
> > The defaults are compiled into the IDE.
>
> I know, but that is part of the problem. And it shouldn't be compiled
> into the IDE. At the moment as soon as you start the IDE for the first
> time, those defaults are written the users profile directory and into
> a file called lazarus.dci.  Now if the next version of the IDE has new
> defaults, the users lazarus.dci is not updated. Defaults should not be
> copied to the users profile directory, they should live in a
> objectpascal.dci file in the Lazarus install directory. This also
> makes it easier to for contributors to find the code templates and
> email patches for updates.

Yes, lazarus.dci is an exception and should be changed to follow the
other settings - defaults will not be written to disk.

> > The IDE has a 'secondary' config path, where pool admins and package
> > maintainers can put default configs. A secondary config file is
> > copied to the user's config directory, iff no user config exists.
> > i.e. the configs are not merged.
>
> I get the idea, but I have never seen this in real life (as far as I
> know).

For example the windows installer sets the fpc search path.
The linux packages and OS X packages use the secondaries too.

> What is the name of the secondary user config file?  I always
> only have the one lazarus.dci file in my ~/.lazarus/ directory. I have
> searched my $HOME/.lazarus/ directory and I only have one .dci file.

When the IDE starts it writes the primary and secondary config
directory to stdout.

> > If no primary and no secondary config exists, the IDE uses its
> > defaults. So there is already a chain of defaults.
> > I think adding a further default file only complicates things and
> > will not solve much.
>
> Maybe I misunderstood your comment about secondary config files and
> that it relates more that just to .dci files.
>
> I'm thinking in line of something like Project Templates - a directory
> with default code templates that the IDE reads. You have the "default"
> template .dci files for various languages (html.dci, objectpascal.dci,
> etc..). If the user did not create any custom code templates, no .dci
> files are in the lazarus profile directory (~/.lazarus) as it only
> uses the ones in the Lazarus install directory. That way if you add
> new code templates like your latest one ('ofall' enum template), you
> simply need to patch the objectpascal.dci file and on the next update,
> everybody will have it. The lazarus profile directory should just
> store custom user created code templates.

The internals are little bit more complicated but from users pov you
are right.

Mattias