[Lazarus] Environment variables in IDE's search path

Bogusław Brandys brandys at o2.pl
Sat May 16 09:23:43 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:46 AM, dmitry boyarintsev
> <skalogryz.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Let's assume, there's a team of developers working on the same project.
>> The project uses some 3d party lib. It can be located anywhere on
>> developer's machine. So relative paths for one developer, are not
>> suitable for other developer's configuration.
>

> That is exactly what Lazarus Packages was designed to solve! Lazarus
> Packages are a LOT more than Delphi Packages. Simply create a package
> for each 3rdParty component, or create a collective
> "our_3rdparty_package". Now reference that package as a requirement in
> your project. Now each developer simply needs to open and compile the
> package (so Lazarus knows where to find it). If it's a runtime
> package, it obviously doesn't need to be installed in the IDE.
>
> Now simply open the project and lazarus will find all the related
> units from the 3rdparty package. It works brilliantly - *much* better
> than how it was done in Delphi IDE. The latter was a nightmare.
>

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

But then the question arise : if I create one nice package for a suite
of components, but user will use only one component from suite in his
application , does it mean then his project will depend on *ALL*
components of suite ?

I know that was and issue of adding component registration unit to the
lpr file uses clause.This was later resolved AFAIK but still information
about such dependency is bothering me. I have a suite of components ,
some of them in delphi have also additional run-time package. I would
like to create only one Lazarus package to cover complete suite ,
because of dependency between them. In past there was a nightmare to
rebuild it in Lazarus ,now it's a lot better (the problem was with
recompilation of one component and checksum error) but one package
definitely would solve future problems.

Boguslaw