[Lazarus] Python4Delphi/Lazarus: VarPyth: VarDataClear.. not yet supported?

Robert kxroberto at googlemail.com
Sat May 30 17:07:49 CEST 2009

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:37:00PM +0200, Robert wrote:
>> I tried to use current http://code.google.com/p/python4delphi with
>> Lazarus. Did somebody use P4D successfully with recent Lazarus?
>> Patches? I face a few problems.
>
>> P4D worked principally with Lazarus, but only after a few a
>> adaptations. Mainly setting DELPHI_4..7_OR_HIGHER. see the little
>> patch in attachment. Is nobody using?
>
> There have been experiments in the past, but no steady maintainer. Often
> there are mails just like yours, partially working, little problems,
> but no
> final verdict. Try to communicate as much as possible back to the Delphi
> maintainer.

> Note that a define system that works on Delphi versions is fundamentally
> flawed, most other open source projects abandonned that; read
> http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/porting.pdf

in the P4D Defines.inc etc there are already FPC and LINUX (Kylix/FPC)
defines/conditions. Somebody has already worked on it in the past, so it
should be principally possible.

Most scaring are a few x86 Assembler things in PythonEngine.pas and
WrapXXXX.pas (where I wonder if its even 64bit compatible; don't use so
far)

>> VarPyth variants would allow to walk seamlessly and comfortably
>> into the Python object tree with the '.' operator like
>> pymod.myobj.myattr.x(7).y := z; ...
>
> That sounds like olevariant stuff. It is supported but only with FPC
> 2.3.1 (trunk)
> afaik. I don't know if P4D is already updated for those (2.3+) changes.

interesting. Yet the other patch showed that its principally already in
2.2.2

2.3.1 shall have a lot of memory leak problems still regarding the other
mail.

Robert