[Lazarus] Auto indentation

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Thu Nov 5 13:17:46 CET 2009

Alexander Klenin wrote:
>>> As for examples of screwed-up formatting... Just look at Lazarus
>>> and FPC code.
>
> While I agree that Lazarus and FPC code has bad formatting issues...

"screwed-up formatting" was probably a bit of a harsh statement. I meant
to say that various code formatting rules already exist in Lazarus and
FPC code. Everything seems to go - not to much fuss is made about it.

> ... I also think that elastic tabstops will not help with most
> formatting problems. In fact, I think using them in Lazarus itself
> will hurt by introducing yet another different way of formatting.

That might only apply to Lazarus code, but I don't only use Lazarus IDE
to write Lazarus or FPC code. I mostly work on other personal projects,
where elastic tabstops (ET from now onwards) and Tab (instead of spaces)
would be much prefered by me.

If you want to see how ET will affect Lazarus code, then use gEdit with
the ET plugin. Convert a unit from Spaces to Tabs, make a few changes
and then let it convert the Tabs back to Spaces when you save. If
anything, I think it makes some code a bit neater.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/