[Lazarus] 32bit application in 64bit OS

Roland Turcan konf at rotursoft.sk
Fri Nov 6 08:08:03 CET 2009

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Martin schrieb:
>
>>> Please have a look at examples/dockmanager/elasticsite/SiteTest
>>> project. It demonstrates how docking could work in the Lazarus IDE,
>>> and how multiple editor windows could be implemented.
>> Does not work with fpc trunk
>>
>> C:\lazarus_latest\examples\dockmanager\package\felasticsite.pas(106,35)
>> Error: Can't take the address of constant expressions
>
> When a new FPC version imposes such restrictions, then it also should
> convert shortcuts like Inc and Dec into macros.
>
> While Inc and Dec were *introduced* into the language as optimization
> hints, for using according machine instructions, they *nowadays* are
> means to eliminate duplicate code (expressions).
>
> I know about the strange opinions of some FPC developers, which also
> require that Inc with an (small) negative amount should raise an
> overflow exception, only because an unsigned machine instruction would
> do so, on certain machines. Such argumentation is ridiculous, with
> regards to the Wirthian pragmas.

All fine and good. But it doesn't help, unless you convince the fpc
developers.
Eventually the new Version of FPC will be used, and eventually all code
has to be able to be compiled with it....

For the moment though, you are right. I can not really complain if it
doesn't work for me, simple because I use an unreleased fpc version. do
you think it will be fixed before release?

Martin