[Lazarus] THelpEvent declaration discussion

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Fri Nov 6 11:18:15 CET 2009

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Problem is that CHM can emulate .hlp basic topic retrieval, and that's

And why must that problem become FPC's problem? FPC is meant for
multiple platforms, not just Windows platform. So solutions should be
based on what makes sense in a cross-platform way.

> But what I do not understand is why you need this identifier to change at
> all? Let it be there, all nice and Delphi compatible, and define your own
> for your own systems.

As I said above. FPC is for multiple platforms, not just Windows. Many
other features have changed in FPC for example that reason - even if
that means breaking Delphi compatibility.

TComponent is part of FPC. So is THelpContent and THelpEvent, THelpType
etc... So why reinvent the wheel (or declare yet more custom type), when
we should be able to use what is available in FPC itself - and built on
top of that. Irrespective of what GUI toolkit or platform we use.

This concept is implemented all over in FPC, THelpEvent is just another
case that hasn't been attended to.

What makes my point in more appropriate is that Lazarus doesn't even use
the THelpEvent as defined in Classes unit. They implemented there own
type in the Forms.pp unit, so no, the change I suggest will not even
break Lazarus code.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/