[Lazarus] Debug Lazarus source

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Nov 6 13:13:55 CET 2009

Zitat von Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi>:

> Hi,
>
> How do you people debug Lazarus source code when developing it?
>
> Yesterday I was able to open the whole Lazarus project
> "lazarus/ide/lazarus.lpi" and debug it with Lazarus itself.

Yes, that is one way.

> I was already then wondering how does it find files under directories like
> "converter" which are not defined anywhere, neither in Required package
> contents nor in Compiler Options -> Paths.

The IDE knows itself, so the lazarus.lpi is not really needed. I added
the 'converter' path.

The IDE knows its search paths.
You can compile it via Tools / Build Lazarus. For myself I set a
shortcut for that.
You can debug it via lazarus.lpi + F9 or via starting the IDE in gdb.

> Then I tested some options and screwed things up. I started again from SVN
> copy of Lazarus.
> Now I get many errors for lazarus.lpi about files not found. It must
> have been a miracle that it worked earlier. Something a human being
> can't explain...

The IDE warns if a project file is missing. But I had not yet the time
to show all missing files in one dialog - project inspector.

> Lazarus wiki tells to use ddd for debugging. That is quite masochistic. Even
> the font is so ugly I have trouble reading it.

;)

> So, how to configure Lazarus to debug itself?

see above

Mattias