[Lazarus] Delphi editor clone

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Fri Nov 6 16:10:41 CET 2009

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:48:37 +0100
Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Please have a look at examples/dockmanager/elasticsite/SiteTest project.
> It demonstrates how docking could work in the Lazarus IDE,

Gave it a try and it looks like it needs some more work.

1. Docking anything left or right of the editor is much harder than docking below. I have no idea why.

1.a) Sometimes it does not work at all. I don't know what I have to do to make it work. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Docking should be intuitive and "just work(tm)".

1.b) Undocking the editor causes an AV.

2. I don't like that I have to drag&drop/dock the contents of a window instead of the window itself but this seems to be the standard nowadays.

3. I don't like the inconsistent positioning of the 'undock X'. Sometimes it is in the upper left corner, sometimes the upper right and sometimes it is not there at all.

4. I like that tabs are inserted when docking more than one component in the same place. I don't like that the last tab is not removed if only one component is left in that place.

5. Visual feedback for docking is important but the red frames are just ugly.

I don't think that it is ready for Lazarus as it is. But with some more work it may be in the future. Hopefully any kind of docking will be available soon, as the multi window approach feels more and more cumbersome.

Btw this is on Linux with gtk2.

R.