[Lazarus] THelpEvent declaration discussion

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 18:36:52 CET 2009

Florian Klaempfl schrieb:

>>> Yesterday I found that the THelpEvent definition in Kylix 3 is very
>>> different to the one in Delphi VCL. Looking at the code in FPC, it
>>> follows the Delphi implementation - even though the implementation is
>>> extremely outdated.
>> FPC imports more oddities from Delphi, like the new change of Inc() :-(
>
> Inc() has not been changed but properties got a consistent behaviour.

The consistence has been broken, by updating only the handling of
properties, without updating Inc() as well. There is no requirement that
Inc() can only work with addresses, and that these addresses must be
provided by a single source. Inc/Dec have been compiler (optimization)
hints since ever, and should continue to work in this intended way. But
we should stop this fruitless discussion here, and move it to an FPC group.

As long as FPC macros take no arguments, another possible workaround
were generic inline functions. I never had a look at according FPC
features, and currently are somewhat clueless about how to proceed.

DoDi