[Lazarus] Gecko on lazarus

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Nov 12 09:15:12 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:14:05AM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 2009/11/11 Hess, Philip J <pjhess at purdue.edu>:
> > No idea. Maybe the lhelp develop knows the answer.
>
> I doubt the Mac help viewer can. After all, CHM is a Microsoft format.
>

> > Hasn't CHM been abandoned by Microsoft due to security concerns?
>
> It has been replaced by Microsoft Help 2 - yet another format. But CHM
> is still popular and used often.

It has only been replaced in Visual Studio and e.g. Delphi. The average app
doesn't (and can't) use MSHELP2, since it needs the MS SDK to be installed.

Note that this is all afaik, if sb has more info, please share.

MSHTML3 is pegged for the next VS in 2010, but it seems it has postponed to
later VS versions before when the release date came close, so don't take
that to literally.

> As for the security concerns - in that case Microsoft should drop
> Windows, Office, IE, etc... ;-)

If there is any truth in it (I haven't seen anything like that), it is
probably the use of IE in the viewer, not the format itself.

If there is a format problem, it is that it is an archive, just like ZIP is.
You can stuff anything in it, and if you can get the viewer to interpret it,
you can instrument it.