[Lazarus] Unable to print under Windows 64bit

adtec at adtec.co.za adtec at adtec.co.za
Thu Nov 19 15:27:29 CET 2009

Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
>>> En/na Mattias Gaertner ha escrit:

>>> Thanks.
>>> Meanwhile the program has been running all the week-end without
>>> hanging the system.
>>
>> Well, it hanged again today, with no call to FindInvalidUTF8Character
>> in sight. I hoped I nailed it but it was a red herring :-(
>> Note that the version that worked through the week-end was compiled
>> with gtk1, the one that hanged today with gtk2 (but I think that's
>> another red herring).
>> I'm re-resting now the gtk1 version to see what happens.
>
> Well, I think (though I cannot be sure until I had the system running
> more time) that I found a solution: I reverted the development
> environment to the same situation as 2 years ago (when I made the last
> successful modification to this program), i.e:
>
> fpc 2.0.4 (with a couple of patches so that the ide works with gtk2 even
> if the final program is for gtk1)
>
> lazarus svn 11880 (I think I used an earlier version at the time, but I
> couldn't determine the exact version, this one is one of the latest
> compiling with fpc 2.0.4 and working with the ide compiled for gtk2)
>
> If this works (crossing fingers), I'm *not* happy with the solution,
> since I'd really like to know what happened to make linux hang hard
> using a newer fpc and a newer lazarus (I cannot say which one is the
> culprit).

with "linux hang hard" you mean the machine is completely frozen? Does
not react on ping and so on? Could it be a hardware problem? Maybe the
BIOS settings are to "aggressive". Maybe there is a hardware memory
problem, which is only popping up when you use the modern (perhaps more
memory consuming) fpc/lazarus/gtk environment.

Regards, Bernd.