[Lazarus] Using latest FPC devel version with Lazarus

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Thu Nov 19 13:34:29 CET 2009

On tiistai, 17. marraskuuta 2009 14:48:34 Mattias Gärtner wrote:
> You have to install fpc.
> There are many ways to install fpc.
>
> Normally it is easier to build a debian or rpm package and install
> that. this way all files are installed at the normal places, so
> everyone can help you and you can uninstall/upgrade easily.
> There are scripts to create debian/ubuntu/fedora/redhat packages for
> this in lazarus/tools/install.

I started to learn about RPM packages after all.
I didn't know how make them but learned some basics, too.
It actually makes sense to install programs through RPM even locally because
then they can be easily uninstalled.

So, I followed README.txt in lazarus/tools/install. It says:

 $ cd <lazarus_directory>/tools/install
 $ ./create_fpc_rpm.sh nodocs /path/to/your/fpc/sources/fpc

It worked and compiled the whole FPC and created packages.
However, it also created an src package (fpc-src-2.5.1-091119.i586.rpm).
Does it mean that the next command is not needed:

 $ ./create_fpc-src_rpm.sh /path/to/your/fpc/sources/fpc

How can I test installing it to a temporary place? It would be easier to spot
any errors.

Juha Manninen