[Lazarus] Why does linux+fpc2.2.4+modern lazarus hang? [was: FindInvalidUTF8Character hanging linux hard?]

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Thu Nov 19 14:30:45 CET 2009

En/na Bernd Mueller ha escrit:

>> It always seems to happen doing the same thing though: (i.e., I
>> display various fields on the screen, when reading new data I display
>> dashes in the fields and "Reading" at the bottom of the page, and the
>> crash always happens at that time).
>
> I am no Linux expert, but I think it should be impossible to freeze the
> kernel with a wild running "userland" application.

My thoughts exactly

> I still think it is
> somehow hardware related.

It could be, but since it happens also on a completely different
machine, with different processor, memory, video and an onboard serial
port instead of the usb adapter, maybe it's an obscure kernel bug that's
triggered only under some special conditions :-(

> You could run your application in several virtual machines parallel. May
> be you could use a different Linux distribution/kernel version. The host
> pc (for the hypervisor) should work reliable of course ;-)

Maybe that could be the only way to see where it hangs (if it happens to
hang on the virtual machine).
I'll see what debugging options VirtualBox has.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.133)  Fax +34 93 5883007