[Lazarus] Using latest FPC devel version with Lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Nov 21 22:19:38 CET 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:13:53 +0200
Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:

> On lauantai, 21. marraskuuta 2009 13:24:32 Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:
> > > However I wasn't able to configure Lazarus "FPC source". It complained
> > > that the directory doesn't look right or something,
> >
> > Maybe you should read the message more carefully. It explains what
> > directories the IDE expects. Probably you have given the ~/fpc instead
> > of your fpc svn directory.
>
> Uhh, now I am confused. Earlier in this same thread you wrote:
>
> > > Well, still easier would be to just configure Lazarus to use the new FPC
> > > compiler and its source directory straight from the svn tree.
> >
> > The FPC sources are a big collection supporting more than 20 targets.
> > Only the 'install' knows what files belong to the current target and
> > this changes constantly. Lazarus would need to emulate the install
> > process to find out which sources are the right one.
> > Of course you can write some rules to support a common subset of
> > sources for some common targets.
> > If someone wants to write and maintain that, it can be added.
>
> I understood I can't use the svn tree for Lazarus FPC sources.

Sorry.
You wrote:

> I copied FPC from svn and built it with "make all".
> I tried to set in Lazarus:
> FPC source directory: fpc/[...]
>
> It gives an error:
>
> The project uses target OS=linux and CPU=i386.
> The system.ppu for this target was not found in the FPC binary directories.
>
> Is it documented somewhere how to configure this?

And I answered the above.
I meant: If you only do 'make all' in a fpc svn, it is not enough for
lazarus. You have to do 'make install' or use packages.
Lazarus can use the fpc svn directory as source directory, but the ppu
files, the fpc.cfg, the compiler, the fpc utilities, the help, ... must
be installed as normal.

> Now, say I have dir "fpc_svn" containing the svn tree and then I have dir
> "fpc" where it is installed with "make install".
> Which directory should I select in Lazarus as "FPC source directory"?

The "fpc_svn" is the the fpc source directory. It contains for
example a directory 'compiler'.

Mattias