[Lazarus] What's the hold-up with Lazarus v1.0?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 11:21:30 CET 2009

2009/11/29 Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:

> Do you really think we should care about people looking at version
> numbers? Wine took years to get 1.0 and people used it, one of the
> greatest emulators (qemu) is still at 0.11 having a quality Borland had
> selled as version "2007".

And who are they targeting? Linux and Unix users which as I already
mentioned, do not care much about version numbers. Lazarus targets
Mac, Windows, Linux etc.... Most of those targets DO care about
version numbers, even thought it might only be psychological.

Any steps taken to reduce bad publicity is a good thing. Seeing
comments like the ones I mentioned in my first post is what stops
potential developers from trying Lazarus, even though the original
poster of that comment didn't really give Lazarus a fair chance.
Developers read those comments and take it as fact and simply stay
away from Lazarus.

Clearly you know the benefits of version numbers, otherwise FPC would
still have been at v0.x!

And as I mentioned, Lazarus has a sh*t load more features than the
text based Free Pascal IDE, yet that IDE is at v1.x and Lazarus at
0.9.x (for over five years now).  If I was a new users and looked at
Lazarus I might think this project is totally dead - being for over
five years at v0.9 and has the word "beta" in it's title.  :-(
It's this type of thinking that I would like to stop.

  - Graeme -