[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Sun Nov 29 14:55:07 CET 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 14:36, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 2009/11/29 zeljko <zeljko at holobit.net>:
> > case 0.9.28 (or 1.0) there must be full compatibility all the time
> > (0.9.28.XX - or 1.0XX) and for such thing we need more developers who
>
> This is where I prefer the Linux philosophy compared to Windows.
> Windows takes compatibly to the extreme and compromise better and
> cleaner designs in the process. Linux type software believes that if
> something is broken, fix it using the best design and cleaner code -
> even if this break compatibly.

You misunderstood my point.
If we have eg. 1.0, then we have 1.0 branch (like we have 0.9.28) where only
bugs should be fixed and if we add new features there , it shouldn't break
compatibility. Trunk is another story - there can be whatever.
I also prefer Linux over Windows philosophy, but it's same like I said. If you
are stucked to Qt-4.5.XXX then use it - nobody will break it.But if you
prefer 4.6 then expect some incompatibility.
So if I build my bussiness apps over 1.0, I'll expect that 1.0999 will not
break any compatibility (even there's 2.2424 current stable version).

As already Vincent pointed: at the moment we need developers not users.

gtk2 maintainer is deadly needed, like I do for qt or Felipe for wince
etc...widgetset code must be watched everyday, not quarterly or monthly in
best scenario.
Just compare num of issues per widgetset.

zeljko