[Lazarus] QT bindings as defalt (was Release 1.0, part 2)

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Sun Nov 29 15:06:50 CET 2009

On sunnuntai, 29. marraskuuta 2009 15:11:24 Vincent Snijders wrote:
> As Florian noted, Lazarus needs developers more than users. There are
> more gtk2 issues than win32 issues, so we need to focus our martekting
> (if any) more to the potential gtk2 developers (on linux) than on the
> potential win32 developers.

What about potential QT developers?
My suggestion is to make QT bindings the default recommended (on Linux at
least), and consider stable QT bindings as a requirement for v1.0.

This is a very realistic goal. I have compiled Lazarus for QT widgets and it
works great. The bugs I found I have reported and Zeljan has already fixed
them. Only some minor OpenSuse related issues remain.
I already know some places where QT bindings work better than GTK2 bindings.

QT has better design internally than GTK2. Many programmers have stated that,
it is not only my opinion.
Thus I believe bindings for QT are easier to make. (This was an "educated
guess", I don't know the details.)

QT has lots of momentum now that Nokia bought it. There are more potential QT
developers than GTK2 developers to attract if you advertise it as the number
one stable binding.

Regards,
Juha Manninen