[Lazarus] Error while debugging: "No symbol in current context"

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Oct 1 06:23:29 CEST 2009

ABorka wrote:
> Hi Graeme,
>
> The debugger is not usable as it does not have been in the focus to be
> developed.
>
> Object property values cannot be seen either (dwarf or something
> external program used does not support properties).
> There were questions about the debugger functions in the past 2 years,
> same as yours both on the Lazarus forums and the mailing lists.
> If I remember correctly the answer was something like it is not priority
> until after 1.0 .
> IMO it is one of the most important aspects of RAD development to have a
> fully working IDE debugger. Currently in Lazarus the debugger is not
> usable for serious development because some of the most basic
> requirements are missing. Not to mention a CPU window, etc.
> It seems a new debugger should be developed that does not depend on non
> compatible external programs, but there were no resources to do it in
> the past years.
>
> AB
>
> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just can't seem to debug anything inside the Lazarus IDE. Maybe my
>> computer just doesn't like me or something. :-(
>>
>> See attached screenshot. "Slots" is a local variable which is a
>> "record" structure.  I can't seem to get any debug information about
>> the fields in that record, using Lazarus IDE.
>>
>> Does anybody actually debug code inside the Lazarus IDE?  Or do you
>> all use external debugging tools or log files? I seem to get the
>> feeling that debugging is the single biggest feature missing from the
>> Lazarus IDE. Unfortunately debuging is a vital part of any IDE.

without further digging to verify further i must also agree... i've recently had
many questions about multiplatform pascal compilers and i have been pointing to
fpc/lazarus but 99% have always come back with problems with debugging stuffs...
many simply do not know or understand or even care about compiler developments
stuffs but are simply "old school" coders looking for a working compiler for
their needs... "working compiler" includes valid debugging capabilities along
with necessary "conversion tools" to move from such as TP6, TP7, delphi and
similar...

to be slightly more specific, many of these folk are "old school" BBS coders...
BBS meaning the older DOS type BBS' and their newer windows based cousins... a
major need is "direct" serial port and or "FOSSIL" access capabilities which
have historically been via ASM code with pascal "library kits" which relieve
them from having to know or understand such nuances as to how the code
structures are sent to the FOSSIL or serial ports...