[Lazarus] debugger feature request created

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Oct 1 01:24:49 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 2009/10/1 Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de>:
>
>> I still thin you exaggerate "Debugging from inside the IDE is near
>> impossible".  => it is not very comfortable though.
>>

> Well, then you clearly know which loops to jump through in Lazarus.
> Just about everything I try and debug in Lazarus doesn't work - and I
> try and use Lazarus debugging like I used Delphi or Kylix debugging.

Well then help extending the wiki page with the loops....

Like adding tips, how to use (and where not to use) value inspection via
hint. (personally I never used this, so I couldn't run into this issue.
I dislike having to re-locacte the mouse after every single-step, rather
using the watches window.
But a matter of taste, so yes for you it is less comfortable.

Viewing record structures with a hint is still possible, just hover over
the actual name of the variable (the record, not the field), and you see
*all* values. Usability depends on the size of the record...

Arrays are still an issue. I admit this. With fpc trunc you can get
along, if and only if (to many if) you have declared a named type. And
if (!) you add the extra pointer dereference.

So are nested procedures, and local variables in the outer scope. Only
way is to set the current stackframe in the stack window.

What where your other issues?