[Lazarus] debugger feature request created

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Fri Oct 2 09:53:10 CEST 2009

Hello:
In barrapunto.com (a Spanish slashdot) there is an article asking "What
do you know about Lazarus?". Most comments were positive, and most
negative comments were against Pascal (it's a dead language etc) more
than against Lazarus.

Here is the link to the article (in Spanish)
http://preguntas.barrapunto.com/article.pl?sid=09/09/28/2211206

But there were a few comments with objections to Lazarus. One of them
was about debugger.
This comment the (also in Spanish)
http://preguntas.barrapunto.com/comments.pl?sid=82108&cid=1176899

In this comment he supported Lazarus, but the last paragraphs made some
objections. Here is a translation of the last paragraphs, sorry if my
English is not good enough

    "Some problems  I find in  Lazarus a those that unfortunatelly  can
    be found in most OSS. On one hand they have amazing features that
    can't be found in their commercial counterparts, on the other hand
    they lack elemental features that are waiting to be implemented and
    waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting....

    "Some of the elemental things I miss are: The debugger can't see
    properties values of objects (A framework for a OOP without being
    able to watch objects in the debuger!, that's an oxymoron) and
    nested procedures can't see parent variables. And some bugs never
    disappear, or disappear  and appear again".

Well, I don't know what bugs he was talking about, but about the
debugger I think he is right. I would also add a help. Those should be 0
priority: you need to debug and with thousands of objects/functions you
need to access to help very often. Code completion, folding code etc are
wonderful features, but with a good debugger and a good help is like a
car with GPS, four airbags, but with gas tank for two liters.

Santiago A.
svaa at ciberpiula.net