[Lazarus] New Help System & Viewer - sneak preview

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 10:07:04 CEST 2009

2009/10/2 Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl>:

> MS' help compiler is probably a lot faster too, this is the own lib.

I did not look at 'lhelp' code yet. Do you guys have your own CHM
reader library, or do you use a publicly available library like
libchm.so?

> Since as far as analogies go, LaTeX to HTML still sucks after 10 years, and
> I considered waiting 10 years for IPF a bit too much.

You wouldn't have to wait 10 years. :-)  I'm working on it now. I have
a very basic conversion tool already (though many features not
implemented yet). But more importantly for me now is fixing the fpdoc
generated ipf output.

> As 50 competing wiki formats, non of which really work.

As far as I know there is just one INF (IPF) tag format.

>> I heard many objects about that. Of one, other platforms have all
>> there class and api help in different (non CHM) formats, so they will
>> not be able to integrate that with the IDE.
>
> Sure, just convert.

So are you going to write INF -> CHM converter too? Or any of the
other formats FP IDE supports? I just think dropping that support is
silly. The hard work has already been done, and the help works in the
FP IDE. So simply extend it to fulfill your CHM needs - no need to
drop all other formats.

  - Graeme -