[Lazarus] heaptrc - Is it even worth using?

Aleksa Todorovic alexionne at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:35:36 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 16:41, Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com> wrote:

> Does anyone else have any trouble reading heaptrc output?  The only thing
> that I can see of use is that it tells me there /is/ a leak.  However,
> trying to figure out where it is according to heaptrc output seems more
> difficult and time consuming that searching through the code.
>
> I'm not criticizing per se, just frustrated that I've spend 40 mins looking
> at a heaptrc output file with still no clue as to where the leak may be.
>
> [...]
> ...more and more of the same

I used heaptrc to detect memory leaks in a game with >20k lines of
code. It took me just one day to remove all (out of lot of) memory
leaks. I remember that I had to check every frame of stack to find the
exact location of memory leak - it could be anywhere on the reported
stack trace! I also had to set constant TraceSize to 16/32 in order to
understand some memory leaks. Hope that helps :-)

Aleksa