[Lazarus] Help needed for conference...

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 12 17:31:31 CEST 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Geoffray wrote:

> Hi the list...
>
> You probably don't know me but I'm for years a Lazarus fan.
>
> I have to prepare a conference for February 2010 in my LUG. The main theme is
> to give a good idea of what are Lazarus and Free Pascal with technical
> demonstration. This is the easy part... The public will be mainly Delphi users
> (including companies) that want to move from Delphi to Free Pascal. So I need
> help with details about which problems they can meet, the solutions, supported
> feature, and not (yet) supported ones...

Having ported/developed some applications, the main problems when porting are IMHO:

a) They should not expect to find the same components in Lazarus as in Delphi.
    (This concerns mostly DB components, web components. GUI is mostly covered)

b) Third-party components are usually not usable.
    (unless that company supports FPC, which is unlikely)

c) Cross-platform development means:
   - No Windows API. (e.g. the registry).
   - SizeOf(integer)<>SizeOf(Pointer)!
   - No assembler

And under no circumstances promote '1 source for both Delphi/Lazarus'
because that is a recipe for problems :(

Michael.