[Lazarus] Installed Packages (was: Code navigation in Lazarus 0.9.28)

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Tue Oct 27 11:04:00 CET 2009

Hi,

I think I didn't find the Ctrl+H shortcut myself from Search menu because I
didn't do any search or find operation. This same Ctrl+H seems to work for all
navigation which is good. ... but I still like the buttons, too.

> I guess the jump buttons can be very useful for beginners too.
> I added the toolbar as ToDo to the education package:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_for_education

I read the wiki page and opened Packages / Configure installed packages in
Lazarus. I don't see any educationlaz package there. It must be in the latest
SVN version. That is OK. I will update later.

Now some UI design hints about this Configure installed packages dialog:

It is a convention to have a list of available items on left side and selected
items on right side. Then the item moves from left to right when selected.

Also, the package already selected should be removed from the list of
available packages.

Then I rebuilt the IDE. Could someone please explain what actually happens
there. The whole IDE really gets compiled, right?
The original version was installed from RPM package with root account to
/usr/lib/lazarus/lazarus.
The new version went to ~/.lazarus/bin/lazarus.
It is much bigger than the original, over 100 MB compared to 13 MB.

I think it would be less confusing to install the compiled version at the
original location, using root password if necessary.

Anyway, it was impressive how this system rebuilt and rebooted itself, without
the user (me) even knowing what happened.

I tried the same with QT4 widgets but it failed. It will be solved in the
future I guess. No problem.

Regards,
Juha Manninen