[Lazarus] Library internals and interface based data aware controls

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Tue Oct 27 23:58:29 CET 2009

Hi.

> It is unlikely that mode objfpc will be 'fixed', it will break a lot of
> existing code. Therefore the default Lazarus settings are to add {$mode
> objfpc}{$H+} to all new files to turn on string=ansistring.

I understand the point but I don't fully agree with it.

Sometimes old code must be broken. In this case it would be enough to support
old Pascal code with some mode switch. New code should be encouraged to use
new language features. So, the default mode should happily swallow all new
advanced language features and then maybe complain about old syntax if needed.

Pascal is an old language and its original form is quite useless in today's
standards. It is alive only because extensions made by Borland and such.
Other languages are evolving. To be alive after 10 years Lazarus /FPC will
need some brave moves. ... but yeah, you know it already...

Back to coding. Less talk, more action.

Juha Manninen