[Lazarus] Strings

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Wed Oct 28 07:15:14 CET 2009

> The language has evolved and short string is mostly a historical remain.

Definitely not! ShortString and AnsiStrings (and all other variants of
string types) are just different ways to work with strings. Using
ShortStrings you can avoid a lot of problems which you can have with
AnsiStrings if you don't have the need for strings longer than 255
characters.

What I would critisize is the use of the generic type "string" at all.
Mapping this to different types dependend on compiler switches or
whatever is a can of worms. I would prefer that one of the clear genuine
string types is used directly. Lots of code is dependend on the string
type.