[Lazarus] Request for student project ideas

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Mon Sep 14 18:24:28 CEST 2009

 > Bernd Kreuss schrieb:
> Oberon is not just an arbitrary other language, it is Pascals younger
> brother and ALGOL is their mother and it is told that the same guy named
> Wirth was around at ETH Zürich both times when they were created.

But there seems to be a reason that these guys didn't enhance Pascal but
created completely new languages.

> I'm not sure how flexible the compiler is and how easy or difficult
> implementing a new frontend would be, not all the languages in your list
> are statically typed so much of them wouldn't make sense at all for this
> compiler, but maybe ALGOL, Modula and Euler would be cool also, to make
> this family of languages more complete.

I don't think that it is wise to use a Pascal compiler to compile code
from another language, even if it is very similar to Pascal in some
respects (and if it's even possible). I believe that there are
fundamental differences, otherwise it would not be a different language.

And the existing {$MODE..} modifications are already too much. They were
added to avoid code modifications to older programs but they never help
me to avoid them yet. In the end, the code had to be adapted anyway.

I would prefer not to do even more of these modifications so that noone
can read any code snipped anymore because he does not know which
language is meant.