[Lazarus] Request for student project ideas

Leslie Kaye les.kaye at couchmansfarm.plus.com
Wed Sep 16 00:00:02 CEST 2009

Vincent Snijders wrote:
> Geldenhuys schreef:
>> Hans-Peter Diettrich het geskryf:
>>> IMO they have learned that copy&paste is an essential RAD method. In
>>> so far I understand that copying C# declarations into OPL source
>>> code simplifies interfacing with the rest of the world.
>>
>> I can't say I have ever heard of a single case where C# developers moved
>> to Delphi (Object Pascal) language.  The opposite seems quite popular.
>>

> And that is why there are lots of sample code with C# declarations. It
> is argued that copying and pasting them is a fast way of getting the
> declarations in pascal. It is useful, if you don't have to re-arrange
> the declaration.
>
>> So that tell me, that there is NO point in copying the C# language
>> syntax to a Object Pascal language - no developers move in that
>> direction.
>
> It is not about developers, it is about code.
C# is already dead because it is tied to a propriety Java lookalike
platform but with even more serious bloat. It will be out of fashion
within the next decade. No matter how fast your hardware, native code
will always be the faster option. If high connection cloud and web
servers are the future then small footprint applications and fast
execution of instances will never have previously been more important.

Okay so there is Mono but do you trust M$ not to take it out with a
patent infringement lawsuit? Even if M$ were to ultimately  lose the
claim,  the legal fees would be prohibitive for Mono to defend. Do you
want to put years of development effort into C# and dot net which could
vanish in a second?

ASP.NET is a powerful technology under light loads but why anyone would
use dot net on the desktop is beyond me. Are your desktop users in less
developed countries than the US likely to be running the latest version
of Windows and dot net? I do not think so.

Object Pascal will live on because Delphi and Lazarus are awesome
technologies delivering human readable raw speed applications at a low
level which cannot be matched for speed and power by any Just In Time
CLR or interpreted languages.

Visual Basic was launched by M$ as a lightweight toy to allow
non-professionals to go beyond their spreadsheet "applications". Then
"serious" software vendors started developing in VB. Nonetheless M$
crapped on them all by discontinuing the native compiler. Now it is for
Delphi and Lazarus to facilitate the engineers and accountants and
whatever non IT professionals (and the IT houses also!) to write quality
code. These applications will deliver high performance and yet will be
easily understood by c++ purists and other career programmers.

As soon as C# goes out of fashion then because M$ only goes forward.,
there will be  no backward compatibility...you have been warned!