[Lazarus] Error while debugging: "No symbol in current context"

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Sep 30 12:39:20 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just can't seem to debug anything inside the Lazarus IDE. Maybe my
> computer just doesn't like me or something. :-(
>
> See attached screenshot. "Slots" is a local variable which is a
> "record" structure.  I can't seem to get any debug information about
> the fields in that record, using Lazarus IDE.
>
> Does anybody actually debug code inside the Lazarus IDE?  Or do you
> all use external debugging tools or log files? I seem to get the
> feeling that debugging is the single biggest feature missing from the
> Lazarus IDE. Unfortunately debuging is a vital part of any IDE.

Yes I do, a lot.
And yes painfully aware of the limitations.  Well at least I anyway
never used evaluation through hint, I always use watches window.

Lot's depends on the version of FPC, and the version of gdb you have. I
have in the past assembled workarounds, and put them in FAQ (
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips / reachable via the
FAQ )

Another thing is that sometimes all watches start returning an error, in
which case you must remove all of them, and add them again, and they
will work. Not sure what gets stuck there...

Best Regards
Martin