[Lazarus] Autosize behaviour

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 19:25:43 CEST 2010

Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:

> I have been thinking about layout managers. I think that this should be
> an add-on
> to the currently existing layouting (to preserve delphi compatibility):
> I imagine a component that one drops on a form. One sets the 'target'
> control (control whose children should be managed) and some properties.

I imagine a Layout property for TWinControls, or an intermediate layer,
that is initialized to the Delphi compatible manager. That property then
can be assigned any other layout manager.

> The only thing I am unsure about is whether TControl should be made
> TLayout-aware.
> As far as I understand, a layouter only needs to be able to handle
> rectangles,
> within some restrictions (some callbacks to get min/max rectangles). It
> need not know anything about TControl or it's properties, and as such could
> be implemented totally independent of the LCL.

The layout should take into account the standard TControl properties,
including alignment, constraints and anchors. It also should use the
layout managers of child controls, for forward/backward transfer of
autosize information.

DoDi