[Lazarus] New feature - View same source in multiple Windows

David W Noon david.w.noon at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 8 17:40:06 CEST 2010

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:41:09 +0100, Martin wrote about Re: [Lazarus]
New feature - View same source in multiple Windows:

> On 08/04/2010 15:33, Alexander Klenin wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 05:41, Martin<lazarus at mfriebe.de>  wrote:
> >
> >> You can also view (and edit) the same source across 2 or more
> >> windows (Context-Menu "Move to new Window"). So you can look at
> >> different locations in the same file, without the need of jumping
> >> forward and backward.
> > Works good (it is, of course, "Copy to new Window").
> > How about "Copy to new tab"? would be handy in some cases
> >

> you mean having 2 tabs with the same source, in just one window?
> It can be added, but I though it wasn't needed (since you can only
> view one of them at any time)

This also raises the question as to whether both tabs should be updated
when the users modifies the source, or if one tab should be kept as
history.  If the latter, there would need to be a "synchronize" option
to bring the history up to date when the user no longer needs the older
version.

Having two or more potential sources of modification for a single file
poses all kinds of issues about consistency, unless they are
intrinsically synchronized internally.

Dave  [RLU #314465]