[Lazarus] OOP basics - 2

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:00:18 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 19:33, Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:
>> Yes, Lazarus has this "one big file" problem it and it is horrible.
>> I tried to fix some parts of it, but my fixes were rejected due to
>> backwards-compatibility concerns.
>> This highlights yet another reason to design the code properly --
>> after you create
>> the big mess, you might not be able to untangle it even if you wanted to!
>
> How would you fix it for Designer, ControlSelection and Object Inspector?
> They are truly interdependent. It is not caused by poor design.

By cleanly separating implementation layers and defining responsibilities
and requirements for each in e hierarchical manner.
Yes, the above sounds like a bunch of meaningless buzzwords ;-)
It is hard to describe such things with words, but if you are interested
you can look at the code in attached patch
(it is very big, but most of it is code movement, which you can easily see
if you use git).

[The patch turned out so big that the mail was rejected,
re-sending with compressed patch]

--
Alexander S. Klenin